Painting doors is a delicate matter and, despite all the seeming simplicity of this process, it is replete with subtleties and nuances.
How to paint the door: how to cover the top
The tree has such a structure that perfectly absorbs any modern dyes. Acrylic paint is best. It is ideal to protect it with a layer of acrylic varnish.
What are the options:
- Nitro enamels are durable and resistant to many external factors. Minus - a very sharp and toxic smell. It is necessary to paint in well ventilated rooms or on the street.
- Alkyd enamel has a low price. It is less resistant to damage and therefore requires additional protection with varnish. Minus - dries longer.
- Acrylic enamel is eco-friendly and does not have a strong odor. Without protection with varnish, the door painted with acrylic enamel will not last for a long time.
- Colored varnishes on wood help keep the original structure of wood visible and give it an unusual shade. Minus: a sharp and toxic smell that weathered long enough. Only suitable for wood.
How to paint the door: the preparatory stage
Any work related to pasting or coloring something must necessarily begin with preparatory work. It’s just that an amateur can afford to paint on an unprepared surface. Such mistakes are realized quickly - painted or lacquered doors that have not passed the preparatory finishing stage look very bad, despite the smell of fresh paint. What is the preparatory stage of work? In principle, it is standard for all painted surfaces.
- Cleaning the door from the old coating.
- The door is cleaned of dust and dirt.
- After that, putty is used for potholes and cracks.
- Next, the plastered door is again cleaned with abrasive material, again cleaned of dust and dirt, and also degreased.
After all these activities, the doors are fully ready for painting.
How beautiful to paint the door
There are three main ways, or rather, three technologies for applying paint products on the surface. This is a spray gun, brush and roller.
- Painting doors with a brush. The brush leaves traces, as it is quite difficult to apply paint evenly.
- Paint roller. The roller allows you to evenly and a thin layer of paint roll on the surface of the door. The most important thing here is to choose the right roller. In no case can you use a foam roller. Ideal fur roller.
- Painting with a spray. A great option, but for its implementation will need some equipment.
And finally, a few recommendations on how to independently solve the issue of how to paint the doors. Whatever you paint, whatever material and tool you use, it is important to understand one thing - it is impossible to paint a surface with high quality at a time. In most cases, the paint is applied in two, three or more layers. In addition, each of them should dry well.
Moreover, if we talk about professional painting, then almost each of these layers undergo additional processing - it is cleaned and even polished.
After the finish layer of paint dries, it is not superfluous to apply a protective varnish on top.
And one more thing - starting to paint the doors, do not be lazy to remove the canvas from the sheds and remove all the accessories from the doors, since it is very difficult to wash it off from the paint.
Good luck to you in this difficult work. And we have already painted our 55 doors: